Felix Assouline pulled out all the stops and went all in at the 2108 IPCPR in Las Vegas as he introduced a number of new blends and extensive line extensions. His EGO line of cigars was one that was considerably extended and today I would like to focus on the new EGO Gold. The EGO Gold joins the EGO Ocean Blue, EGO White, EGO Red, EGO Connecticut, and the original EGO to complete a full line of cigars that are expected to please any palate.
The EGO Gold contains a rich Nicaraguan and Honduranblend described as:
- Wrapper – Nicaraguan (Habano 98)
- Binder – Nicaraguan (Jalapa)
- Filler – Honduran (Jamastran) and Nicaraguan (Jalapa)
The EGO Gold is available in seven different vitolas packaged in both 10-count and 24-count boxes.
- 24KT (6 x 50) – MSRP $9.00 (10 and 24 count boxes)
- Fiebre Del Oro (6 1/2 x 54) – MSRP $10.00 (10 and 24 count boxes)
- Money Shot Belicoso (6 1/2 x 54 ) – MSRP $10.50 (10 and 24 count boxes)
- Fortis Fortuna Juvat (6 1/2 x 58) – MSRP $12.00 (10 and 24 count boxes)
- Gold Dias Del Oro (6 1/2 x 56) – MSRP $11.00 (10 and 24 count boxes)
- Fuerza Fuerte Redondo (9 x 56) – MSRP $15 (10 count box only)
- Fuerza Fuente Cuadrado (9 x 56 box press) -MSRP $15.00 (10 count box only)
For this review I sampled the Felix Assouline EGO Gold 24 CT which I
The EGO Gold has a gorgeous reddish-brown oily wrapper which has a decent amount of marbling throughout. There are just a few veins running along the barrel and it is neatly finished with a triple cap.
There is one band that adorns the EGO Gold and like all cigars in the EGO
Running the EGO Gold across the nose, I picked up a pungent aroma along the barrel and a minty note off the foot. This was quite an enticing introduction to the cigar and had me wanting to fire it up and experience what it has to offer.
I proceeded to slice the cap with my Palio double blade cutter to give it a straight cut and took in a few cold draw puffs. The draw was snug and offered notes of nut, spice, and earth.
With the preliminary examination out of the way and much to my liking, I toasted the foot with my dual flame JetLine lighter, bringing the foot to an even orange glow.
Cigar Review Notes
- Delicious creamy smoke starts the journey
- Pepper, earth, and mineral notes open the profile
- Medium grey ash evolves resting on a medium char line
- Chocolate nut aroma fills the air in the lounge
- Woody and cream notes round out the early profile
- Ash falls gently after an inch plus with a perfect burn cone
- Coffee and sweet cream notes enter much like a cafe leche
- Mild mint notes spike along with a dry fruit moving into the second third
- Spice enters at the end of the second third with a continued sweetness
- Strength moves to solid medium
- Dry cocoa powder enters in the final third
- Finished with a lingering fruit
- Medium in Strength
- Total smoking time was 1 hour and 30 minutes
Overall, I rate the Felix Assouline EGO Gold 24 CT a 96. The cigar had a full body of flavor from foot to nub and had pristine burn qualities including a well-formed and centered burn cone and crisp burn line throughout. Keeping with Stogie Press rating criteria the only point I deducted was for the medium grey ash. At a price point of $9.00, I would certainly put this as a box buy.
Point Deductions: (-1) Medium Grey Ash
Bonus Points (+1) Box Buy