I recently posted a review of the original DBL Atomic Ant cigar and found it to be a terrific cigar to enjoy when you have less than an hour to relax. Today I would like to present a review of the Formula blend of the Atomic Ant. Today is Francisco Almonte’s birthday and what better way to celebrate than with a DBL cigar review. Happy Birthday Francisco!
Like the original Atomic Ant, the Formula variety is the same 4 x 40 size but includes the DBL blend used in their Formula Line up:
- Wrapper – Ecuadorian Sumatra
- Binder – Dominican
- Filler – Dominican
The DBL Formula was the first cigar I reviewed from Francisco and Dominican Big Leaguer cigars. Let’s see how the new Atomic Ant version measures up to that original.
Cigar Review Notes
- Dark brown and heavily marbled wrapper
- Deep notes of cinnamon and raison spice – you know you are smoking a DBL
- Cold draw offers a similar profile to the aromas
- Once ignited sweetness, and cinnamon grace the palate reminding me of Cinnabon muffin
- Bitter dark chocolate enters early in the burn with a slight nasal pepper burn
- Cinnamon and chocolate mix well enticing the flavor buds
- Slow draw with a nice burn
- Touch of leather enters near the end of the 1st third
- Sweetness builds into second half
- Spice ratchets up a bit
- Strength is medium
- Cinnamon spice and dry cocoa powder continues through the final
- Medium to full strength
- Total Smoking Time was around 45 minutes
Overall, the DBL Atomic Ant Formula was a perfect cigar to enjoy on a weekend morning to get the day started. The flavors were signature DBL with cinnamon, sweetness, raisin, and chocolate. The Atomic Ant Formula did not have the same kick as the original Formula but then again it is a small cigar and it delivered on the core formula flavors. It paired well with a rich cup of coffee. Please note that DBL is a sponsor of Stogie Press but in no way has this impacted the review or my notes.