- Born February 10, 1969
- Grew up in Los Angeles, California
- Lived on his own since he was 15
- Spent 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days in prison mostly at Folsom State Prison
- Played “Alvin” for an Alvin and the Chipmunks stage show
- Played in dozens of films and TV productions including The Grinch, and The Kid
- Founded ShortyWood productions
- Author and Painter
- Creator of the famed Pit Boss TV
- Formed Shorty’s Pit Bull Rescue and Shorty’s Charities
Shorty is a tireless man who could have turned on society, but instead turned his life around and has devoted it to the protection of the underdog.
In his own words:
Creating a strong voice against stereotyping and stigma. We do not seek your pity and don’t appreciate your prejudice. We are here to help one discrimination case at a time through education, enlightenment and to fight, if necessary, for the underdogs of the world.
In 2010, Shorty accepted an invitation from Diesel cigar maker Abdel (A.J.) Fernandez to visit the factory and fell in love with the cigar. The two men bonded over the leaf and A.J. offered Shorty the chance to make his own Diesel vitola which was known as the Diesel Shorty. That line has since expanded into numerous Shorty cigar offerings which you can see here.
Last year I gave a donation to the Shorty Charities and in return I received a thank you gift of some Shorty cigars. Today I would like to give you the run down on the latest of the line – the Diesel Rage Shorty Edition an extension of the Diesel Rage line. It is a 4.5 x 60, square box pressed gordo, that has the same primary band as the Diesel Rage but adds a secondary maroon and silver band that declares it as the Diesel Shorty Ed.
The blend is the same as the Diesel Rage, consisting of a dark and shiny, Ecuadorian Habano Sun Grown Oscuro wrapper that cloaks Cuban-seed Nicaraguan long-fillers.
They are limited in production and retail for $10.50/cigar which you can find on Cigars International
Cigar Review Notes
- Square box pressed, dark silky smooth cigar
- Pre-light cocoa and pepper on the nose
- Unrestricted cold draw filled with rich peppery and earth notes
- Initial puffs deliver on the pepper
- Medium grey ash with a thick char line
- Ash falls after an inch
- Red pepper on the lips
- Catching some cedar and coffee
- Strength is medium-full half way down
- Touch of sweetness enters
- Woody aroma
- Flat burn cone
- Strength moves up more
- Red wine appears midway through the second third
- Well oiled wrapper
- Full palate of smoke
- Finishes with a pleasing spice
- Hot to the touch near the nub – but hey its the nub!
- Total Smoking Time – Just under one hour
Overall, the Diesel Rage Shorty Edition was a flavorful and well-behaved cigar. The burn was spot on with full, palate pleasing, smoke production. The strength slowly crept up, but never went over the top. This is one that would pair quite well with an aged ruby port wine.