In 1916 Ramón “Pulita” Rodriguez, a humble cigar roller in the Dominican Republic, established Tabacalera El Artista. Three generations and sixty years later our masters rollers make millions of cigars, our farmers grow acres of specialty cigar tobacco, and we still adhere to the principals of Don Pulita.
That was the introduction by Tabacalera El Artista to their latest brand extension introduced at this years IPCPR. As you know I spent some time down in Tamboril, DR with the El Artista team and you probably read my article “From Seed to Palate“, which walks through the Tabacalera El Artista fields, processing, and rolling facilities. Today I would like to present a review of the Pulita 60 Aniversario which is a celebration of their 60 years in the cigar and tobacco business.
The Pulita 60 Aniversario is a masterful multi-country blend of six exceptional tobaccos, including tobacco grown and aged by El Artista. It is available in two vitolas, and packaged in 10-count boxes.
- Robusto 5 x 50
- Toro 6 x 54
The six country blend is described as follows:
- Wrapper – Negrito
- Binder – Dominican Criollo 98
- Filler – Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Columbia, and Pennsylvania
Read to the bottom of the review for a special holiday giveaway from El Artista.
For this review I sampled the Pulita 60 Aniversario Robusto
Cigar Review Notes
- Slightly waxy dark brown wrapper
- Fruity foot
- Sweet barrel
- Tightly packed
- Earthy and red pepper cold draw
- First puffs offer a huge dose of pepper
- Pepper continues for a good half-inch or more cleaning the old sniffer
- Sweetness and a nut (there’s that Columbian leaf) finds it way through the pepper after an inch
- Cedar and a hint of chocolate round out the profile
- The medium grey ash held for a good inch before falling
- It has thick char line and well-formed burn cone that is perfectly centered
- Sweetness builds through the second third
- Spice and pepper picks up entering the final third
- Medium in strength it was a slow burner lasting a good hour
Overall the El Artista Pulita 60 Aniversario is, by far, my favorite offering from the company. It was a complex smoke that delivered terrific flavor and was well constructed. This cigar rightfully earned the honor of being the company’s anniversary offering. I wish more companies would consider using Columbian leaf in a blend as it offers such a nutty flavor note.
And now for a special holiday giveaway from El Artista.
How would you like to win this Humidor plus an El Artista Ashtray and Lighter? Just enter the El Artista 12 Days of Cigarmas contest by clicking here or on the El Artista Ad on the side bar and follow the directions. Good lucky and Happy Cigarmas.