I was digging through my humidor this evening after dinner looking for something to smoke and came across the El Galan Semilla Cubana Maduro. Maybe it was the beautiful band or perhaps the dark brown, aged, oily and mottled, maduro wrapper that got my attention. All I know, it stood out in the field of cigar choices tonight.
A little background on today’s choice. The El Galan Semilla Cubana Maduro blend is described as:
- Wrapper: Brazil
- Binder: Nicaragua
- Filler: Dominican Republic
El Galan offers the Semilla Cubana Maduro in two vitolas:
- Toro: 6 x 54
- Corona Gorda: 6 x 60
They packaged in 24-counts boxes and are economically priced with an MSRP ranging from $5.75 to $5.90.
The term Semilla Cubana literally means “Cuban Seed”. The cigar is a tribute to El Galan owner, Felix Mesa’s Cuban heritage, and the band represents his family’s 3 generations of working tobacco fields in Cuba’s famed central region.
The El Galan Semilla Cubana Maduro is handcrafted at Mesa’s El Galan factory in Esteli, Nicaragua.
For this review I sampled the Semilla Cubana Maduro Toro
Cigar Review Notes
- Dark Brown slight oily and mottled wrapper
- It has a bit of a rugged look to it with some noticeable veins
- Seams are tight and the packing is full
- Fruity spice aroma along the barrel and foot
- Earth and pepper notes on the cold draw
- Butter and pepper with a fruit filling on first light
- The ash is salt and pepper in color and slightly flaky with a thin char line
- Creamy full body of smoke
- Coffee enters middle 1st third
- Spice joins in at the start of the second third
- A pristine burn so far
- Fruit is the dominate note on the finish
- Even into the second third there is a medium pepper burn on the nose
- Fruit shifts to a tangy citrus
- Sweet cedar and a touch of coffee enters in the final
- Simply amazing ash!
- Long nut finish on the tongue at the end
- Medium to full in strength
- Total smoking time was 1 hour and 20 minutes
Overall, the El Galan Semilla Cubana Maduro was solid proof that a quality flavorful well constructed cigar doesn’t have to steal your wallet. This was an easy cigar to enjoy with its pristine burn and long ash delivering delicate flavor transitions.