Back in August of 2016, we reviewed a delicious robusto from a little company down under, Australia, known as Nicoya Cigars. That cigar was the Nicoya Cigars Robusto Fuerte, one of two blends, introduced to me, by company owner Gerard Hayes at the IPCPR. Today I would like to take another trip down under and walk you through the second offering from the company, the Nicoya Robusto Medio. Billed as a milder cigar than the Robusto Fuerte it is still a tasty specimen of a cigar.
Like the Robusto Fuerte, the Robusto Medio is available in a single vitola, a 5 x 52 robusto and is also produced by Tabacalera AJ Fernandez Cigars de Nicaragua S.A. You can’t go wrong with AJ if you are looking to make a fine cigar!
The blend of the Nicoya Robusto Medio is described as:
- Wrapper – Ecuadorian Habano Rosado
- Binder – Mexican
- Dominican Habano 2000
- Nicaragua’s Estelí viso
- Ometepe viso
- Jalapa viso
The Nicoya Robusto Medio catches your eye with its medium brown Ecuadorian Habano Rosado wrapper that has a bit of sheen to it and a satin feel. There are a few noticeable veins but not anything I would be concerned with. The cigar has a decent weight in the hand for a robusto and looking at the foot you can see the tight packing that went into it.
Speaking of the foot, it has a sweet hay aroma to it and as I run the barrel along the nose I pick up an enticing barnyard sweetness.
The band is simple in nature, and displays the Nicoya “N” in red on a white background.
After slicing the cap, the slightly open cold draw offered notes of earth joined with the sweetness of the wrapper and some of that Ometepe filler . I liked the pre-light flavors and hope that was a sign of what was to come.
Cigar Review Notes
- Takes to the flame well with a relatively full palate of smoke
- Initial burst of pepper right of the light
- Pepper settles quickly
- Smooth lightly spiced smoke fill the palate
- A rich sweet floral aroma wafts off the foot
- Almond enters near the end of the first third
- Solid medium grey ash develops that fell midway
- Perfectly centered and flat burn cone is revealed
- The burn is pristine with a thin char line
- Coffee (Cafe Latte) notes join the almond in the second third
- A delicious medium strength cigar so far!
- Ash built up again and held tight
- A touch of bitterness enters in the end of second third lasting only for a few puffs
- Pushing to the end there is delectable blend of spice and toasted oak to finish
- Medium Strength
- Total Smoking Time was just over 1 hour
Overall, Nicoya Robusto Medio is a perfect mid afternoon cigar to enjoy while taking a break. The flavors were balanced and the burn was pristine with a solid ash. I definitely enjoyed the notes of coffee and almond in the middle of the burn. This certainly pairs well with a cup sweet espresso. I would like to thank Gerard HAues and Nicoya Cigars for the samples.