Back in 2012, Iconic Leaf Cigar Company announced their inaugural line of cigars, known as the OTG and it was met with rave reviews. That reception prompted the company to announce their 2nd release, the Recluse Draconian, at the 2013 IPCPR in Las Vegas. It is at this show where I met the Iconic Leaf Cigars team and over the years I have run into Mr. Scott Weeks at various festivals and shows. Most recently I connected with Scott at the Smoke Inn Great Smoke 2017 where I received a Recluse Draconian as part of the package of cigars. Scott and the Iconic Leaf also sponsored the events Sunday brunch.
The Iconic Leaf Recluse Draconian, like other blends in the company’s lineup come in a full range of vitolas.So there should be no problem finding the size that fits your need.
- Petite Corona – 4 x 42 (24 Count Box)
- Corona – 5¾ x 46 (24 Count Box)
- Robusto – 5 x 52 (24 Count Box)
- Toro – 6¼ x 50 (24 Count Box)
- Belicoso – 6½ x 56 (24 Count Box)
- Tarantula (Round) – 6 x 60 (24 Count Box)
- Lancero (Round) – 7 x 38 (24 Count Box)
- Excepcionales – 7½ x 56 (24 Count Box)
- Kanú #1 – 6 x 54 (20 Count Box)
- Kanú #2 – 7 x 52 (20 Count Box)
- Kanú #3 – 8 x 58 (20 Count Box)
- Sidewinder #1 – 5 x 57 (24 Count Box)
- Sidewinder #2 – 6 x 57 (24 Count Box)
- Sidewinder #3 – 7 x 57 (24 Count Box)
Whew, that is a some list of vitolas, and as you can see most of them are box pressed and come in 24-count boxes. For this review I sampled the tried and trusted Recluse Draconian Robusto.
The company describes the blend as a mix of multi-country tobaccos and proprietary leaf:
- Wrapper: Ecuadorian Maduro
- Binder: MBC (proprietary)
- Braziago HD.
- Piloto Cubano.
- Iconic Ligero (proprietary)
- Dominican Ligero (Top Prime)
As with all Iconic Leaf cigars, the Recluse Draconian is produced at the Tabacalera Leyendas Cubanas factory that is led by J.R. Domínguez. Iconic Leaf explains that J.R.is a true visionary who brings energy, excitement and passion to everything he touches.
Leyendas Cubanas is run by J.R. Dominguez. A maestro who has learned his craft from generations of tobacco knowledge before him. A man with vision and a meticulous passion for creating only the finest hand made premium boutique cigars that can be found anywhere. That is what drives him. He refuses to allow anything to be produced that is not of the finest quality. He would rather walk away from a deal if it would require anything less. It is a matter of integrity, of principle, pride and confidence in what is the work of your hands, a restful night sleep from a day of honest labor. These core values insure, that when you see the Leyendas Cubanas seal on any box of cigars, you can be confident in what you have purchased and that it will deliver only the finest every time.
The Recluse Draconian is smooth and silky box pressed cigar that exudes a most enticing milk chocolate and sweet fruit aroma. It screams light me up, I will please your discerning palate. Looking at the foot you will notice that it is rolled using the Entubado (cuban style). This style is the most time-consuming style of rolling as each filler leaf rolled into itself. Each individually rolled leaf is then placed together to form the bunch. This skillful rolling technique creates a more firmly packed cigar which allows air to travel between all the leaves, carrying more aromatics/flavors to the palate.
Once opened up the cold draw offers gentle but lingering pepper on the lips and notes of peppery spice, earth, and floral through an open draw.
The Recluse Draconian is adorned with three bands; the primary bands are the classic holographic Recluse spider band, this time it is silver on a black background and there is a secondary band below it that declares it as the Draconian. The cigar is finished with a red footer band.
For this review I sampled the Recluse Draconian Robusto which I received as part of the package at the Smoke Inn Great Smoke 2017
Cigar Review Notes
- The Draconian journey starts off with Buttery notes wrapping spicy fruit
- As it evolves there are subtle notes of nuts and espresso
- Full palate of creamy smoke
- Medium grey ash fell after an inch
- Decent burn cone is revealed
- Sweetness enters midway
- Cocoa powder joins the mix
- The cocoa sweetness is joined with a sweet floral aroma
- Medium grey ash
- Spice enters near end of second third with a hint of dried fruit
- The spice, though gentle on the palate continued into the final third
- Creamy butter and spice finish
- Medium Strength
- Overall Smoking time was 1 hour and 15 minutes down to the nub
Overall, the Iconic Leaf Recluse Draconian was a pleasurable smoking experience, with a fairly complex set of notes and an error free burn. This is certainly one of my go to cigars if I see it in a stores humidor. The Draconian would pair very well with a rich cup of espresso or an aged rum.