Cornelius & Anthony Cigars has been busy in 2016, launching a number of new blends at this years IPCPR in Las Vegas. The line-up included the Cornelius, the Daddy Mac, a revamped Meridian (expected to be released in October), and the Venganza, which is the topic of today’s review. As mentioned in previews reviews, the company is steeped in tobacco history going back five generations and committed to bringing the best of products to the consumer.
I took some time to speak with the Cornelius & Antony team at the show and was told the Venganza is one of their favorite new blends with a bold flavor profile that is the result of the careful blending of choice Nicaraguan binder and fillers all wrapped in an exquisite Ecuadorian habano wrapper.
The Venganza is rolled at the La Zona factory in Estelí, Nicaragua.
The Venganza is a full production line for the company and is available in 4 vitolas, each packaged in 20 count boxes.
- Judge – 5 x 52 Robusto
- Silencer – 5.5 x 46 Corona Gorda
- Persuader – 6 x 50 Toro
- BMG – 6 x 60 Gordo
For this review I sampled the Judge Robusto
Cigar Review Notes
- Gorgeous waxy, med to dark brown, wrapper with a red clay tinge
- Well capped
- Chocolate, spice, and sweetness on the nose
- Currant and spice are detected through an open cold draw
- Some black pepper moves forward after a few cold puffs
- Mouthfuls of buttery and peppery smoke right out of the gate
- Definite nasal opener
- Once the nose is opened a delicious citrus tang enters
- Lingering woody finish
- Nutty aroma develps early on
- Butter entered the profile
- Medium grey ash resting on a thick char line
- White chocolate entices the back of the palate
- Wrapper showing signs of oil after first inch
- Smoke mellows nicely after and inch and half
- Mild spice in the background
- Creamy foreground
- Aroma shifts to a floral fruit
- Honey enters making this remind me of a Panna Cotta Italian desert – Cream Honey and Egg whites topped with a fruit compote – Yea it’s that good!
- Spice is replaced with a delectable sweetness
- Medium strength by the half way point
- The burn line thinned out also
- Spice renters at the end of second third
- Smoke is cool all the way
- Sweetness reveals itself as caramel as it moves into the final third
- Amazing Ash!
Overall the Cornelius & Anthony Venganza is certainly one of the best the company has offered. I can understand why they love this blend, with bold flavor transitions, full smoke and an incredible ash from its solid construction. This Venganza most certainly makes into the Stogie Press Top 25 for 2016.