Jon Huber and The Crowned Heads cigar company is giving us another kick in the head with the latest release of the Four Kicks Mule Kick 2017 limited edition cigar. It has been a few years since the company has released an amped up version of their classic Four Kicks line. It has been 5 years actually. Back in 2012 The Crowned Heads company released their first Mule Kick.
This time it is a 5 7/8 x 52 toro vitola and is blended the same as the original Mule Kick. Of course the crop used is different so we shall see how the new 2017 variety performs. The blend is described as:
- Wrapper – Ecuadorian habano
- Binder – Nicaraguan
- Filler – Nicaraguan
As with the other Four Kicks, the 2017 Mule Kick is produced at Tabacalera La Alianza S.A. in the Dominican Republic, which is Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr.’s factory. MSRP is set at $9.90 per cigar and the production is limited to 2,000 10-count boxes.
The cigars shipped back in April and I picked one up Ambassador Cigars and Spirits lounge in Troy, MI.
The Four Kicks Mule Kick 2017 is wrapped with a dark Ecuadorian habano wrapper that has some decent marbling and a nice sheen to it. The foot has a sweet cocoa aroma to it and the barrel has a delicious fermented leaf note. It is finished with a triple cap,
that once sliced, offers a fairly open draw. The cold draw had a touch of pepper to it and a light earth.
Time to fire up this mule and see what develops.
Cigar Review Notes
- Nice little pepper burn that seems to increase after each puff, slowly cleaning the nasals
- Full volume of creamy smoke
- Dark espresso notes fill the palate early in the burn
- Salt and pepper ash that is a touch flaky
- Evolving citrus notes enter
- I had to cue up some Kings of Leon on Pandora to help me with the journey
- Citrus evolves nicely into a gentle spice
- Spiced nut aroma is wafting after the first third
- Thick char line
- White pepper moves into the profile
- Touch of oil showing on the wrapper
- Strength picking up
- Leather enters just before the secondary band
- Fruit adds to the pleasure tempering the pepper
- Caramel sweetness enters in the background
- A bit of a wave developed that was easily corrected
- Spice and pepper increase in the final third
- Down to the nub sweetness builds helping to balance the spice!
- Medium to full strength
- Total Smoking Time was 1 hour and 15 minutes
Overall, The Crowned Heads Four Kicks Mule Kick 2017, is a delicious cigar that with great complexity and a decent strength that did not over power. I really enjoyed the caramel sweetness that evolved especially at the end. With a limited supply this is certainly a box buy or a split with a friend.