Now that the US presidential general election is over, I thought it would be fun to review one of the latest releases from Pure Aroma Cigars, Inc. Back in 2009 the company started what they called the Presidential Collection. At this years IPCPR Isaias Santana Diaz of Pure Aromas Cigars Inc introduced the latest extension to D’Crossier Presidential Collection Line Series; the Pennsylvania Avenue.
While half the nation ponders the results of the election and worries about the next four years the other half is celebrating. I imagine it would be the same regardless of the outcome, one side wins the other side loses. It happens in every election, somebody will move into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. But for Isaias, it was more about a fight for the life of the premium cigar industry, the fight against the overreach of the FDA.
“Smoking a cigar is about personal freedom, a choice to enjoy something that is familiar, generational and in my case handed down from my father to me. I am hopeful that our industry will be unscathed”
The D’Crossier Pennsylvania Avenue is a multi country blend consisting of:
- Wrapper – Costa Rican Habano Criollo Especial
- Binder – Habano
- Fillers – Brazil and Dominican Republic
They are handcrafted in San José Costa Rica and have been aged for 19 months before reaching the shelf.
The D’Crossier Pennsylvania Avenue is available in four vitolas:
- Gordito (4 1/8 x 52)
- Wide Toro (5 1/8 x 58)
- Tainos (5 7/8 x 54)
- Robusto (4 7/8 x 50)
Espinosa Premium Cigars is handling the distribution of these cigars. Prices range from $8-12 per cigar and are packaged in 12 count boxes.
Time will tell if the new administration will roll back the FDA regulations, but this week it was time to fire up the D’Crossier Pennsylvania Avenue.
For this review I sampled the D’Crossier Pennsylvania Avenue Robusto.
Cigar Review Notes
- Aged tobacco sweetness along barrel and foot
- Smooth, medium brown wrapper
- Nice Americana band
- Little pig tail finish on the cap
- I chose to sliced off the pig tail (normally I bite off)
- Earthy cold draw with a medium level of restriction
- Smooth start with cream, coffee, cocoa and a hint of nut
- Solid medium grey ash
- Perfect medium thick char line
- Delicious cigar so far
- Ash holds for an inch and half before falling
- Well centered flat burn cone
- Smoke is fairly consistent no major changes in second third
- A touch of spice and sweetness enters
- Final third brings a welcome plum note wrapped in a toasty aroma
- One could say it tastes like a plum tart
- Strength was medium
- Total Smoking time – about an hour
Overall the D’Crossier Pennsylvania Avenue was a well-behaved delicious cigar that offered a consistent flavor profile. It was not complex, but the final plum flavor transition was an unexpected pleasure. I would certainly suggest pairing this with a well aged sipping rum.