I had the pleasure of meeting Felix Mesa and Pablo Romay from El Galan Cigars at this years IPCPR. Felix is a passionate man when it come to cigars and though I don’t speak Spanish, we still were able to talk cigars. Felix explained that his family has over 3 generations in the tobacco business with roots back to Cuba.
In fact the El Galan brand was founded in 1966 (50 years). They are based out of Miami, FL. with their factory, El Galan Cigars S.A., in Esteli, Nicaragua. Felix was proud to be releasing two new blends this year:
- Doña Nievas Oscuro Sentimento which is “en honor a su abuela” or in English “to honor his Grandmother”
- El Galan Reserva Especial Connecticut which is an extension to the company’s Reserva Especial line.
Felix, Pablo, and I spent quite a bit of time talking cigars. His love of the leaf, and the industry as whole, was simply infectious. I told them I will have to plan a visit to Miami soon and we can continue the conversation.
Today I would like to introduce you to the El Galan Reserva Especial Connecticut.
When asked about the blend, Felix made sure to write it down on paper for me:
- Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
- Binder: Nicaragua
- Filler: Nicaragua
The El Galan Reserva Especial Connecticut is available in 2 vitolas each packaged in boxes of 24. Both vitolas are priced under $7.00 MSRP.
- Airosos – 5 x 52
- Apuestos – 6 x 54
For this review I sampled the 6 x 54 Apuestos which in Spanish means Elegance
Cigar Review Notes
- Triple cap
- Primary and Footer Band
- Tea and sweet hay aroma on nose
- Medium tan, satin wrapper
- Noticeable seam
- Slight sprinkle of pepper on the cold draw
- Decent dose of pepper entering upon ignition
- Pepper settles nicely after half-inch
- Solid white ash
- Medium char line
- Creamy smoke
- Hint of hazelnut
- Classic Connecticut bitterness enters
- The nut shows up in the aroma
- 1 inch into burn and this smoke is smooth
- Bitterness is toned down with a light honey and ginger note with ever-present nut finish
- Smoke is perfect creamy density for smoke rings
- Ash finally falls after two inches
- Strength is mild at half way point
- Ginger note morphs into a citrus peel
- Cinnamon toast aroma
- Spice builds into the final third
- Burn has been perfect from foot to nub
- Time to enjoy some breakfast
Overall the El Galan Reserva Especial Connecticut was a delectable and elegant, mild – medium, morning cigar. It paired well with my coffee and I am sure it will pair even better with a Cafe Cubano. I was especially enticed by the honey and ginger notes that entered early in the burn and the delightful background of nut that continued through the experience. The El Galan Reserva Especial Connecticut was an effortless, flavorful cigar that lasted a good 90 minutes of smoking pleasure.