Today we bring you another visit to the City Series of Sensado Cigars. This time we take a little trip to New York. I may be known as Boston Jimmie but I was born and raised for 20 years in and around New York City. I was a young adult during the late 1970’s and saw “Da City” go through its ups and downs. I recall 42nd street when it wasn’t a Disney playground, I rode the graffiti clad subways, rocked out at CBGB’s, and never ventured into Central Park after dark. So if you are going to name a cigar after New York it better live up to its name; Or Else! – You know what I mean?
According to the Sensado website, the New York is:
Blended with the spirit of bright lights and never-ending adventure. Light-to-medium bodied, with notes of spice, toasted nuts and a hint of leather. It’s a refined churchill perfectly suited to end the day or begin your night.
Well I am not always one to follow the rules, so I enjoyed this cigar before my morning breakfast. Of course back in the day that may have been considered the end of my day.
The Sensado New York is available in one vitola, a 6.75 x 48 Churchill. Hey, you don’t like Churchills? Go somewhere else, because this is all they have in this blend, understand?
The blend is described as:
- Wrapper – Connecticut Ecuador
- Binder – Nicaragua
- Filler – Nicargua
Before I get into the notes and photos, just let me say, not for nuttin, this Sensado New York Churchill was pretty damn good.
Cigar Review Notes
- Light Connecticut Ecuador wrapper
- The foot actually looks like it was box pressed
- Noticeable seams and a vein here and there, but hey, fuhgeddaboudit!
- I pick up nut, fruit, and pepper notes on the foot and sweetness along the barrel
- Cold draw has just the right restriction
- Once fired up, the palate is smacked with red pepper and fruit
- For all intensive purposes this is starting out to be a nice smoke
- It gets right down to business with a full body of smoke
- Develops a white ash on a medium char line
- Took a good inch for the pepper to tone down – it was like it was off the hook
- But as you stand toe to toe, before you know it, you are becoming friends
- Fruit is joined with a creamy caffe late
- Ash fell nicely and reveled a perfectly centered burn cone
- A sweet almond fills in the early profile. Now we are talking business
- Fruit moves into more of a citrus
- A spicy pepper note enters in the second third reawakening the nasals on the retro-hale
- A Connecticut bitterness enters midway coupled with a spicy aroma
- The burn has been near perfect so far
- Bitterness is blending with a dry leather and fruit by the end of the second third
- Final third brings cedar and oak with a continued spicy aroma
- Medium strength
Overall the Sensado Cigars New York Churchill is an elegant cigar that was fine in the morning but could be enjoyed any time of the day. The blend had excellent flavor transitions. The burn was near perfect and the ash held on fine. The is the second of the Sensado Cigars City Series line I have sampled and I consider both fine smokes. It lives up to its name. This certainly would go well with a creamy cup of coffee in the morning or in the early evening with a Highland Single Malt.