It’s Time To See Human Trafficking Go Up In Smoke…“
That is what you will see when you visit the Chaffiot Collection cigar website. Founded in 2017, by Justin Chaffiot, the brand has quickly became a local central Florida favorite and keeps Justin on point with his undying mission to stop human trafficking, as a percentage of all proceeds goes to that cause.
The company’s website goes on to state:
By the time you have finished smoking a robusto, approximately 68 people were sold or kidnapped and forced into trafficking somewhere in the world. Chaffiot Collection advocates to abolish modern day slavery. A portion of all proceeds are donated to fund the mission.
– There are roughly 27 million people enslaved in the world today.
– There are an estimated 1.5 million people being trafficked in the United States today.
– In the U.S., at least 100,000 children are exposed to trafficking every year.
– Florida is ranked 3rd in the nation for human trafficking calls.
I have known Justin for over a year now, and I can attest to the fact, he is passionate about his mission and cigars. I reviewed one of his inaugural blends, the Chaffiot Collection Original Connecticut Gordo, back in October of 2019. That cigar placed as an honorable mention on our top 25 cigars.
Today, I have to pleasure of presenting a review of one of the company’s latest blends, Brothers Keeper. A name that says it all, especially with the mission Justin is on.
For the Brothers Keeper, Justin reached out to another local Florida name, Cordoba y Morales, based out of Orlando, Florida to help with the blend and handle the construction of the cigar. Knowing the craft of Cordoba y Morales, my expectations were set high for this blend and it dd not disappoint.
The blend of the Brothers Keeper is described as:
- Wrapper – Ecuadorian Habano Oscuro
- Binder – Nicaraguan
- Filler – Nicaraguan
The Brothers Keeper is expressed in a single (6 x 52) toro vitola with an MSRP of $12.00/cigar. They are available on the Chaffiot Collection website in 5-count packs.
The Chaffiot Collection – Brothers Keeper, is well constructed cigar that is wrapped in a gorgeous medium brown leaf that has a tinge of red and nice marbling. It has a fine oily sheen and just a few veins running through it. The cigar is solidly packed, heavy in the hand, and smooth to the touch. It is expertly finished with a quad cap.
A single band adorns the Brothers Keeper. It is uniquely different from the inaugural blend, which used just the company’s logo. This time, Justin chose to make a statement. It uses a light gold band that has a shield in the center and two axes behind it. The name “Brothers Keeper” is centered in the shield and “Chaffiot Collection” printed below. The left side of the band states “WE ARE ARMED INSURRECTION“and the right side states “WE’VE ONLY BEGUN…” Certainly a statement of mission from Justin.
As I ran the barrel along the nose, I picked up a light baking spice note while the foot exuded notes of fruit and nut.
I used my double blade cutter to slice the cap straight across the shoulder and proceeded to take some obligatory cold puffs that I would describe as spot on with restriction and offered notes of tasty fruit, nut, and pepper. This is one of those cigars I would suggest you roll around and cold puff on longer than most, as the pre-light is quite enticing.
My triple flame torch warmed the foot, which took to the heat well, developing an even orange glow with a few gentle puffs and a light blow on the foot. The first puffs greeted the palate with a nice pepper spice to get the journey started. Follow along as I burn the Brothers Keeper to ash.
Cigar Review Notes
- Pepper spice starts the journey
- Cream and mocha notes break through as the pepper pulls back
- White ash forms on top of a medium thick char line
- Delectable vanilla/cocoa aroma wafts off the foot early in the burn
- Smoke volume is full, thick and creamy
- A light fruit background with an added butter component rounds out the early profile
- Ash fell in a nice chunk with well defined burn cone
- Cedar notes enter to add to the growing complexity of the smoke
- Nice oiling appears above the burn line
- Aroma shifts to more of a nut sensation
- The cedar notes move more forward with a touch of natural sweetness
- This is most definitely an elegant cigar
- Strength moves up midway
- Mild citrus notes brighten the mix with a growing sweetness
- Spice notes enter deep in second third
- Earthy notes in the end with spicy background
- Medium to full in strength
- Total Smoking Time was 1 hour and 40 minutes
Overall, the Chaffiot Collection – Brothers Keeper was a spectacular cigar from foot to nub. It is what I expected from the collaboration between Justin Chaffiot and “Z” from Cordoba y Morales. This is an an amped up flavor bomb to say the least with just a mild wave here and there through the journey. This is a cigar that is certainly box worthy and any experienced cigar enthusiast would enjoy as well as I did. I rate this a 95. Don’t forget, a portion of proceeds goes to fight human trafficking.
Point Deductions: (-1) Mild Wave
Bonus Points: (+1) Buy a Box; (+1) Nice Oiling Above Burn Line