Earlier this year, our friends from the Cigar Clowns Facebook Group made another amazing drop of cigars known as the Three Ring Circus. This drop was special, as each of the three blends were released in a single vitola blended for that vitola. Each of the three bends were released in collaboration with a local Brick and Mortar shop. There were three acts (released) in this drop. Today I want to focus on Act II – the Greeny. This one was made in collaboration with Caravan Cigar Company in Bath. PA.
The Greeny was released in a (3.5 x 50) short robusto back in March and were packaged in 5 -count paper wrapped packs with an MSRP of $50.00.
The Clowns described the blend as a Nicaraguan Puro:
- Wrapper – Nicaraguan hybrid habano
- Binder – Nicaraguan
- Filler – Nicaraguan
For this review I sampled 3 Greeny cigars which I received from the group to review on Stogie Press
The Cigar Clowns – Three Ring Circus Act II – The Greeny is a beautifully constructed short cigar that sports a milk chocolate brown wrapper that has a light grit and a few noticeable veins. The cigar is solidly packed and firm to the touch. A simple cap finishes the presentation.
A single band adorns the Greeny. It uses a bright green background with an array of clown images spread across the band.
Running the Greeny along the nose I picked up a pungent fermented leaf aroma along the barrel while the foot presented much of the same.
Once I sliced the cap straight across the shoulder of the cigar, I gave it some cold draw puffs that I found to be spot on with restriction. It offered a delicious and enticing mix of notes including pepper, cocoa, and earth. The cold draw had me chomping to fire it up.
Using my double flame torch, I warmed the foot gently to an even orange glow and res in the first puffs of a nasal opening peppery burst especially on the retro-hale. Follow along as I burn the Greeny to ash.
Now before I get into this review, you may ask, why do you review a cigar that is no longer available? Well, let me answer this. I do this because I want to take you on the journey to find the perfect cigar and invite you to be part of this journey by joining the Cigar Clowns Group and hopefully you can get the next drop the newest blend this group offers
Cigar Review Notes
- Initial peppery burst especially when on the nose
- Touch of caramel and fruit hides behind the pepper trying to break through
- White ash forms on thin char line
- Full volume of smoke for a short cigar
- Maple syrup aroma wafts off the foot
- Burn gets a tad wavy moving through the first inch
- Natural sweetness joins the mix to add a pleasant balance
- Ash fell after a decent run revealing an off-centered burn cone
- Increased in maple syrup aroma that is filling the air like a fine incense
- Dry fruit adds to the pleasure moving into the second half
- Growing sweet cocoa notes add to the pleasure with a light spice down to the final
- Ash gets flaky
- Medium to Full in strength
- Total Smoking Time was just shy of 1 hour
The Cigar Clowns – Three Ring Circus – Greeny was a pleasant short smoke, perfect for those moments when you want great flavor and aroma when you are limited in time. With almost an hour of smoking time this short clown delivered. It did have a bit of a wave and an off-centered burn cone but I was blown away with the richness of flavor an the ever growing and enticing maple syrup aroma. I rate this a 91. Check out the Cigar Clowns Facebook page for more amazing drops as they take you one a journey to find that perfect cigar.
Point Deductions: (-1) Wavy Burn; (-1) Off centered Burn Cone; (-1) Flaky Ash in second half