In late 2019, La Flor Dominicana, started to ship the their 25th Anniversary cigar that was showcased at the 2019 PCA Trade Show. The cigar is expressed in a single (7 x 52) vitola and celebrates the 25 years that Litto and Ines Gomez have been in the cigar industry.
Litto describes the blend of the LFD 25th Anniversary as:
- Wrapper – Ecuadorian corojo
- Binder – Dominican
- Filler – Dominican
The LFD 25th Anniversary comes packaged in 25-count boxes with an MSRP of $18.00/cigar.
The LFD 25th Anniversary is a long, medium brown, mildly oily and slightly veiny cigar that has a smooth feel to the wrapper with just a few bumps under the skin. The cigar feels firm to the touch with just the right give under a small pinch of the fingers. The cap is well applied.
A large single band adorns the cigar that uses a gold and red motif and boldly declares this as an “LFD” product and announces it as the “25th Anniversary”.
Running the barrel across the nose, my nasals were treated to enticing sweet and spicy natural tobacco aromas. There is a slight hint of cocoa the more I breathe in the aroma. The foot offers an array of baking spices, like what I get when I open the kitchen bakery spice cabinet.
I sliced the cap straight across the shoulder of the cigar with my double blade cutter and proceeded to give it some cold draw puffs that were even more inviting than the pre-light aroma. I am talking about delicious sweetness and pumpkin spice and raisin bread notes. This may be the first time I got pumpkin spice in a cigar, but hey there it was.
Using my double flame torch lighter, I warmed the foot to an even orange glow and drew in the first puffs of peppery spice, that was not over the top but not overly muted. Follow along as I burn the LFD 25th Anniversary to ash.
Cigar Review Notes
- 1st light starts the journey with medium pepper note
- Smoke is thick and creamy in texture
- Light grey ash forms on a thick wavy char line
- Dry fruit notes add to the early profile
- Floral nuances begin to blend in
- Sweet aroma wafts off the foot
- Ash falls early in the first third revealing a flat burn cone
- Burn starts to go off center but begins to find its way
- The ash is a bit flaky through the burn so far
- Spice notes join the mix in the second third
- Aroma shifts to a nut
- Cedar notes brighten the profile midway
- Cherry notes pop, deep in the second third
- Dark Chocolate nuance lays behind the cherry
- Natural tobacco sweetness builds through the final third
- Medium to full in strength
- Total smoking time was 1 hour and 50 minutes
The La Flor Dominicana (LFD) 25th Anniversary was certainly a flavorful cigar with pleasant notes of cherry, dark chocolate, spice and nut all delivered through a thick and creamy smoke and easy draw. The burn however was rather wonky through the journey with plenty of ash drops and a flaky ash. This is one I may try again and I rate it an 89.
Point Deductions: (-1) Jagged Burn; (-1) Off burn; (-1) Flat Burn Cone; (-1) Flaky Ash; (-1) May Try one again