Back at the 2019 Premium Cigar Association (PCA) trade show, ACE Prime, a new cigar distribution company showcased a number of blends and lines. One of those was the Luciano “The Traveler”, a cigar named after ACE Prime founder Luciano Meirelles.
The Luciano “The Traveler” is a limited edition cigar that was blended by Master Blender Luciano Meirelles and uses pelo de oro leaf, one of the rarest leaves in the world. The company notes that ‘The life history of endurance and success of the entrepreneur and tobacconist Luciano Meirelles is well translated in this exquisite blend.‘ The blend is described as:
- Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
- Binder: Pelo De Oro (Ecuador)
- Filler: Pelo De Oro (Ecuador and Peru)
The Luciano “The Traveler” is available in a single 7 x 46 vitola and comes packaged in 12-count boxes with an MSRP of $17.00/cigar.
The Luciano “The Traveler” is a beautiful looking cigar, with a silky smooth golden tan wrapper that is light on veins and displays a decent oily sheen. Solid to the touch and well packed, the cigar is neatly finished with a triple cap.
A single band adorns the Luciano “The Traveler” using a simple black background and the name “LUCIANO” proudly printed in the center. There are also two thin silver lines on the top and bottom of the band.
As I ran the cigar across the nose, I was greeted with a nicely fermented leaf aroma along the barrel and notes of fruit and sweet bread off the foot.
I clipped the cap using my double blade Xikar cutter and gave it some long and pleasurable cold puffs. The draw was perfectly restricted and delivered a growing pepper sensation, especially on the lips and tongue. A few more cold puffs, and sweetness joined the pre-light experience.
Using the soft flame of a cedar spill, I warmed the foot and drew in the first peppery notes of the journey.
Cigar Review Notes
- Pepper on first light along with white pepper on the throat
- Herbal and cream notes quickly join the profile toning down the pepper
- Natural sweetness brightens the cream
- Light grey ash forms on top of a nice burn
- Nice oiling on wrapper
- Coffee notes end of first quarter
- Very elegant smoke so far; smooth smoke deep in the first quarter
- Ash fell in a nice chunk revealing a centered but flat cone
- Spice notes enters along with the coffee notes in the background
- Toasty bread aroma fills the air midway
- Off burn developed that eventually required a touch up
- Deep into the burn, spice, coffee, and dry cocoa are predominate
- Sweetness builds into the final with a touch of fruit moving through the nub
- Mild to Medium in Strength
- Total Smoking Time was 1 hour and 45 minutes
Overall, the Luciano “The Traveler” was a most delicious and elegant journey from pre-light to nub. The flavors transitioned well through the burn and kept my interest peaked throughout. The only negative I noticed was the off burn midway that did require a mild touch-up. This is most certainly worth picking a fiver. I rate this a 92.
Point Deductions: (-1) Off Burn; (-1) Touch-up