Fiat Lux, a latin expression well-known and often used during the intellectual movement of the Enlightenment, translates to “Let there be Light”, represents the search for knowledge and for meaning. It also happens to be the namesake for the new cigar in the Luciano line, by Ace Prime.
Fiat Lux itself is a blend that generates deliberation. The construction of the cigar provokes an inevitable exploration of flavors as it ignites the taste buds for the sake of discovery. Enlightenment is a natural, mindful consequence of its physical attributes.
Miguel Schoedel – Crowned Heads National Sales Manager. who Distrubutes ACE Prime Products, noted:
“Consumers have gotten to know Luciano through the wildly popular Traveler and Dreamer lines. I am very excited to introduce people to Luciano’s first full core line. I believe this blend will blow people away.”
The Fiat Lux, has a blend described as:
- Wrapper: Sumatra High Prime (Ecuador)
- Binder: Nicaragua
- Fillers: Nicaragua (Jalapa, Ometepe, Pueblo Nuevo)
This introspective exploration of what it means to be mindful and enlightened is exemplified in four distinct sizes, each packaged in 20-count boxes.
- ACUMEN (6 X 56) – MSRP $10.75
- GENIUSES (5 1/2 X 52) – MSRP $10.00
- INTUITIONS (5 X 50) – MSRP $9.50
- INSIGHTS (5 5/8 X 46) – MSRP $8.75
For this review, I sampled 4 of the FIAT LUX by Luciano INTUITIONS that I received from the company for the purpose of reviewing on Stogie Press. I also was treated to a pre-production sample of this at the Tobacco Plus Expo (TPE) early in the year that had me wanting to formally review this gem of a cigar.
The FIAT LUX sports a dark tan slightly veiny wrapper that has a slight oily sheen. It has some decent marbling running through it. A gentle squeeze along the barrel exhibits that it is well packed with just the right give. A well applied double cap finishes the presentation.
Two bands adorn the cigar. The primary band uses a white, brown, and gold motif and present the name FIAT LUX boldly in the center. The sides of the band declare it is “Hand Made” and also notes that it is a Luciano brand.
Running the barrel along the nose I picked up a naturally sweet and slightly pungent set of notes while there is less notable but still naturally sweet aroma off the foot.
A cut straight across the shoulder of the cutter does the trick to open this one up. A few cold puffs treat the palate to a tinge of black pepper, earthiness, and a buttery nut. I found the draw to be spot on and went with a few more cold draws as I found it to be rather enticing. The pepper is actually showing to be more like a spicy red pepper the more you cold puff it.
I used my double flame torch to warm the foot to an even orange glow and drew in the first puffs of floral and peppery notes.
Cigar Review Notes
- Pepper and floral notes to start
- Full volume of smoke pours out on each puff
- Sweet tobacco aroma quickly wafts off the foot
- Solid white ash forms on top of a thin slightly jagged char line
- Natural sweetness develops
- Palate is beautifully salivating with each puff
- Hints of cedar join the profile
- Vanilla and cocoa notes add to the pleasure
- Ash fell in a solid chunk revealing a perfect burn cone
- Dark chocolate notes evolve from the early cocoa
- Coffee notes and light spice further the intrigue the palate midway
- Peppery spice on the retro-hale
- Difficult to remove band – please use less glue!
- Sweet almond notes down through final
- Medium to full in strength
- Total smoking time was 1 hour and 25 minutes down to the nub
If are looking for a fine Nicaraguan cigar to add to you rotation, the FIAT LUX may just be the new one for you. With its pleasing and balanced array of complex flavors and aromas, the FIAT LUX offered an error free journey from foot to nub over a solid 1 hour and 25 minutes. The select leaves used in the blend kept the palate salivated, providing for more nuanced flavors to be enjoyed. The only real ding I have to mention is that the band is too difficult to remove and without extreme care you could risk damaging the wrapper upon removal. Other than that, sit back and slip into a fine smoking journey and enjoy the rich notes of vanilla, almond, dark chocolate, and peppery spice as you palate is kept interested puff after puff. Yes this is box buy for sure. I rate this a solid 95.
Point Deductions: (-1) Difficult to remove the band; (-1) Mild Jag in burn
Bonus Points: (+1) Box Buy; (+1) Complex and Balanced Flavors; (+1) Consistent performance across multiple samples