Back in 2013, I was starting a new cigar blog and had no idea what an amazing journey I was about to embark on. Over the years I have met some of the most incredible people in this business from brand owners, manufacturers, shop owners, fellow bloggers and cigar enthusiasts. The journey continues and I thank everyone for their support and encouragement to keep Stogie Press growing. Today I want to talk about one of the first brands that offered me cigars to review. – ENKI Cigars. I appreciate the support and confidence from Karel Martinez, owner of ENKI Cigars. After all these years Karel and I have been staying in touch through social media and this past Labor Day weekend I finally met the man himself at the Black Smoke Miami event.
Here is a short Video we did at the event with Karel:
Karel spent some more time with me to discuss the ENKI Cigars brand.
ENKI Cigars was conceived with the intention to blend the perfect combination of flavor and character in a cigar. He knew this would be accomplished only by using the best quality fillers, binders, and wrappers from the fertile lands of Nicaragua. After countless trials, these meticulously crafted blends inspired the name for a company.
ENKI, the name of one of the most powerful Gods in ancient Sumerian culture and translates for “Lord of the Earth” in English, alludes to the experience of smoking the ENKI rich blends. Every leaf used in the blends are hand-picked, down to the 7 year aged wrappers. ENKI cigars prides itself that each and every cigar made results in a great smoking experience.
Today I would like to introduce you to the latest in the ENKI portfolio, the ENKI Corojo. It was introduced late last year and is a full production cigar. I received samples of the ENKI Corojo Robusto for the purpose of reviewing on Stogie Press. Without further ado lets break down this new release from ENKI cigars.
The ENKI Corojo blend is described as:
- Wrapper – 7 Year Aged Authentic Cuban Corojo grown in Ecuador
- Binder – Nicaraguan
- Filler – Nicaraguan
The ENKI Corojo is available in 3 vitolas and comes packaged in 20-count boxes:
- Robusto 5 x 50
- Toro 6 x 52
- Gordo 6 x 60
Pricing ranges from $8.75 to $10.00
The ENKI Cigars Corojo is a beautiful cigar to look at with its light tan and gently mottled wrapper. It has a simple cap and is solid to the touch. There is are few veins along the wrapper and has a soft velvet feel to it. Pre-light aromas include sweet fruit and pepper on the foot and a fermented leaf sweetness along the barrel.
The cigar is adorned with a single band that is the trademark logo of the company. It is a shiny copper and black motif with the Lord of the Earth centered in the middle and the work ENKI below. It is applied with the same pride that goes into the making of the cigar itself.
I sliced the cap with my double blade Palio cutter and gave it some cold draw puffs. It had some deep earthy and savory notes with just the right restriction. As I continue to cold puff it, red pepper entered coating my lips.
With the preliminaries out-of-the-way, it was time to take the ENKI Cigars corojo for a pleasure journey.
Cigar Review Notes
- Medium pepper burst to start with a touch of vanilla in the background
- Smoke is thick and creamy
- Light grey ash resting on a medium char line
- Sweetness builds early mixed with an exotic spice
- Smoke is very smooth almost ingestible after an inch
- Very balanced sweetness and spice with mild nut aroma
- Pin point burn
- Coffee enters end of first third
- Ash gently fell revealing a perfectly centered burn cone
- Second third continues the profile with an enhanced coffee
- Aroma shifts to a sweet Cubanesque floral note
- Strength sits at medium half way
- Fruit enters wrapped with a slightly astringent note
- Almond nut finds its way in midway through the second third
- Ash picks up and continues a perfect burn
- Touch of sea salt followed by a sprig of mint ending the second third
- Spice picks up entering the final third
- Subtle cocoa powder finishes the journey
- Medium to full strength
- Total Smoking time was just over one hour
Overall, the ENKI Cigars Corojo was a most delicious and enticing smoke from foot to nub. It had a cornucopia of flavors throughout its pristine burn. This is certainly a cigar I will smoke more of and I highly suggest you search for them too. I have found ENKI cigars here in Florida at Xavier’s Cigar Lounge in Hallandale Beach.