Fresh off the success of the Matilde Oscuro in 2015, the Seijas family and their Matilde Cigar Co. released the latest incarnation of the Matilde line at this years IPCPR. This time it is a medium-full Dominican and Nicaraguan blend named the “Quadrata” Distributed by Quesada Cigars, the Matilde Quadrata is manufactured at Jochy Blanco’s Tabacalera Palma factory in the Dominican Republic.
In fact, the whole Matilde line has been moved to Tabacalera Palma. I would say, you can’t go wrong with Jochy Blanco by your side.
Matilde Cigar Co. describes the blend as:
- Wrapper – Ecuadorian Habano
- Binder – Dominican
- Filler – Dominican and Nicaraguan
As the name Quadrata implies, it is a box press cigar. It is available in 3 vitolas all available in 20-cound boxes:
- Robusto (5.25 x 50( MSRP $8.50
- Torpedo (6 x 52) MSRP $9.00
- Toro Bravo (6.5 x 54) MSRP $9.00
For this review I sampled the Matilde Quadrata Robusto
Cigar Review Notes
- Satin smooth box pressed Robusto
- Some mottling to the wrapper with a fine sheen also
- Chocolate aroma on the foot makes me want to eat it
- I sliced the cap and the cold draw offered red pepper on the lips and tongue
- Beyond the pepper, there was a dry raison note on the palate
- First light delivers on that pepper
- Pepper holds on for a half-inch or more
- Once settled down, notes of coffee, chocolate, and fruit develop
- The aroma is a mix of spice and floral
- The burn is perfect medium grey ash on thin char line
- Nice long ash
- Spice picks up by the end of second third along with dry cocoa powder
- Strength is medium to full at the halfway point
- The cocoa and spice finish down to the nub
- Did I mention Chocolate?
Overall, the Matilde Quadrata was an amazingly delicious cigar with notes of Chocolate, Spice, Coffee, and Fruit. The chocolate had a long finish on the palate and the burn was perfect from foot to nub. This is certainly a cigar I would recommend to any experienced cigar smoker. It may be a bit to strong for a newbie, but hey give it a shot, it may be a great way to expand your palate.