Maya Selva Cigars is officially opened the 2022 cigar season by launching the new Cumpay Lancero.
With the addition of this brand-new cigar, the Cumpay family continues to offer a wide range of aromas and sizes — always true to the identity of Nicaragua’s volcanic highlands. Cumpay is Puro Nicaragua. Its fillers, a blend of whole leaves, binders and wrappers, are sourced from tobacco plants grown in Nicaragua from where it draws its unique flavour and surprising character. The Cumpay is named after the Tawakha Indian word for rolled tobacco leaf.
The blend is described as:
- Wrapper: Jalapa – Nicaragua
- Binder: Estelí – Nicaragua
- Filler: A selection of the best tobacco from Nicaragua
This Nicaraguan Puro is expressed in a (7 x 38) Lancero and comes packaged in 20-count boxes. They have an MSRP of $18.00/cigar.
The company notes:
“The new Lancero has the elegance of a unique savoir-faire. It´s the expression of a grand cigar that has power, finesse, and complexity. It features a complex array of aromas, with a hint of espresso, hazelnut and leather, revealed through an unusual progression where potency precedes mildness.
Join us on a journey, escape the hustle and bustle that surrounds us, and experience the luxurious and generous nature of the volcanic lands of Nicaragua.”
The Maya Selva Cumpay Lancero exhibits a smooth, lightly veiny, dark tan wrapper that has a mild sheen to it. Giving the barrel a few squeezes, I found it to be fairly well packed from head to foot. A well applied cap finishes the presentation
Two bands adorn the Cumpay Lancero. The primary band is die cut with the center creating a curved triangle with a gold border and black background that contains an image of a red volcano in the middle and the words “CUMPAY” and “LANCERO” below printed in gold. The left and right side declare this a product of Nicaragua. A footer band is applied that uses a black, red, and white motif and proudly displays the Maya Selva signature logo.
Running the lancero along the nose, I did not detect much aroma along the barrel but the foot exudes notes of nuttiness and a touch of barnyard.
I sliced the cap straight across the shoulder of the cigar with my double blade Xikar cutter and proceeded to give it some cold draw puffs that I found to be nicely restricted and offering notes of a distinct walnut and a mild hint of leather.
Using a lit cedar spill, I warmed the foot with the soft flame and drew in the first puffs of of peppery smoke. Follow along as I burn this one to ash.
Cigar Review Notes
- First puffs offered a full palate of peppery smoke especially through the initial retro hale
- Naturally sweet tobacco notes move to the top of the profile early as the pepper receded a bit
- Nice white ash forms on top of a medium thick char line with a slight wave in the burn
- Ash fell after an inch of burn revealing a well formed burn cone
- The early nut in cold draw finds its way into the profile revealing more of hazenut after about 2 inches of burn
- Smoke is pleasant and smooth – very balanced
- Dark chocolate nuances add to the pleasure
- Sweet syrupy aroma wafts off the foot
- Burn line all but evened out
- Caramel notes just shy of the band
- Amazing volume of thick creamy smoke
- Mild spice enters deep in the journey wrapping a growing dark chocolate
- Medium in strength
- Total Smoking Time was just a few minutes over 1 hour
I found the Maya Selva Cumpay Lancero to be quite the elegant cigar smoking experience. It started with a distinctive Nicaraguan pepper note that faded after about an half inch of burn leading the way to the palate pleasing flavors that the blend offered, including notes of sweetness, dark chocolate, hazelnut, and caramel. It finished with a well balanced spice and chocolate that had me wanting to smoke another. Construction was spot on except for the mild wave in the burn through the first inch. As much as I liked the cigar, I felt the price may be a tad high for the 1 hour experience but I would suggest checking one out and go from there. I rate this a 92.
Point Deductions: (-1) Mild Wave; (-1) Check one Out