Victor Calvo Cigars, known for reasonably priced, premium cigars announced three new blends at this years IPCPR – the Victor Calvo Fuerte, the Victor Calvo 50, and the Victor Calvo U.S. Shade Reserve. According to their Facebook Page:
“We are here to stay,” that was the theme for the latest meeting this morning in Esteli. This Wednesday, May 25th, we are proud to be releasing three new blends. These blends have been in production for over a year in order to cultivate excellence and exclusivity. Our passion for the cigar culture runs deep, throughout our bones, blood, mind and soul. Victor Calvo has made a commitment to his family, employees and consumers to continue building upon his legacy for years to come. These emerging blends mark another block in the building of his vision and will continue to promote the integrity of the tobacco industry and enhance the experiences of consumers around the globe.
Today we have the pleasure of reviewing the Victor Calvo U.S. Shade Reserve. The U.S. Shade Reserve is just that. A true Connecticut shade wrapped cigar,the leaf of which hails from the O.J Thrall Farms, Windsor, Connecticut U.S.A. This farm goes back 6 generations and is known for the most exclusive and unique tobacco in the world, USA Connecticut Shade. The Victor Calvo U.S. Shade Reserve is manufactured at Tabacalera Tambor de Esteli SA.
The blend of the Victor Calvo U.S. Shade Reserve is described as:
- Wrapper – USA Winsor Connecticut
- Binder – Nicaragua
- Filler – Dominican and Nicaraguan Ligero
The Victor Calvo U.S. Shade Reserve is available in 3 vitolas:
- Spenser – 5.5 x 50
- Oliver – 6 x 52
- Joseph – 6.5 x 54
For this review I sampled the Victor Calvo U.S. Shade Reserve Oliver
Cigar Review Notes
Before getting into the review, I have to commend Victor Clavo on the band design,it has such an Americana look to it with its gold, white, and blue colors, western font, and the image of the barn.
- Nice oily wrapper, especially for a Connecticut shade
- Minimal veins
- Buttery aroma off the foot not much on the barrel
- Cold draw offers up some nutmeg and a bit of pepper after a few more dry puffs
- The draw is nicely restricted – not to open or tight
- Some pepper burn on first light
- Pepper is followed with oak, nut, and some fruit
- The pepper settles nicely, it doesn’t fade completely
- As the pepper fades there is buttered bread component
- Wrapper oils up well
- Very little bitterness
- White flaky ash
- Full body – full volume of smoke
- Thick char line
- Gentle fruit fills in the background
- I tapped the ash it actually was pretty solid
- Spice is building
- Pre-light nutmeg reappears
- Mild to medium strength
- Slight wave but eventually corrects
- Finishes with nutmeg and spice
Overall the Victor Calvo U.S. Shade Reserve was an extremely satisfying Connecticut shade. The complexities of the blend kept the palate enticed from start to finish. With all the various Connecticut Shade cigars on the market this is one that stands out and would be a perfect cigar for any new or experienced smoker to enjoy.
1 thought on “Victor Calvo U.S. Shade Reserve – Rough Cut Cigar Review”
Absolutely one of the Very Best Tasting Cigars I’ve HD in a long long time.
Comments are closed.