It’s been just about a year since we were last down in the Conch Republic. Once again the year-end holidays were upon us and a little Key West excursion was in order, along with a visit to Rodriguez Cigars and owner Danny DiFabio to see what’s new.
When we last visited Danny, he explained how he was growing the business and working to take it to new levels. This year he made good on those expectations, getting the brand name out, beyond Key West.
Here is a just short list of what Mr. DiFabio has accomplished in 2015:
- Teamed up with the newly opened Gates Hotel in Key West, offering a comfortable outdoor smoking lounge to enjoy your favorite cigars and of course the Gates Hotel has a Rodriguez Humidor just in case you need a great smoke.
- Partnered with Team Nauti , as a key sponsor. Team Nauti travels the globe competing in the world’s most elite sports fishing tournaments with grand prizes reaching $1 million +.
- Managed to get himself featured on the Travel Channel which may well lead to additional shows that tie in cigars and fishing.
- Positioned the Rodriguez Cigar brand in premium resorts throughout the Florida Keys.
- Made the Stogie Press top 25 boutique cigar list placing #10 with the Rodriguez Serie 84 Maduro.
To say that Danny is on a mission, executing a well-defined strategy, would be barely touching the surface of his desire. Danny is out to dominate his home turf, taking the Rodriguez name up through the Florida Keys and introducing the brand to the millions each year, that visit “Americas Paradise’. If the past year is any indication of the future, you will be hearing a lot more about Rodriguez Cigars.
We sat down with Danny in his finished aging room, above his shop in Key West, and talked about the past and future of the company. I suggest you watch this to the end as it includes a very special message.
Rodriguez Cigar Factory is located at 113 Fitzpatrick St in Key West, Florida 33040. They can be contacted via phone at (305) 296-0167 for pricing, hours and directions.